In a recent Social Media Today webinar, the topic of mobile marketing was discussed in great detail. If you are a forward thinking marketer, you already know that you should be in the process of optimizing your marketing strategy for the small screen. Years ago, mobile marketing was largely considered text message marketing, yet today we have almost continuous access to consumers because of their obsessions with their mobile devices. If you doubt the power of mobile, take a glance at these stats.
- There are 6.8 Billion People on the planet, 4 billion use a mobile phone and only 3.5 billion of them use a toothbrush. That’s right; more people use a mobile phone than a toothbrush.
- 91% of adults have their mobile phone at their fingertips 24/7. Eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom and in the bedroom. We can have access to people more often on mobile.
- 25% of Americans ONLY use mobile devices to access the internet. How many people are you missing by not being mobile friendly?
- There are 5x as many cell phones in the world as there are PCs
- 82% of US Adults own a cellphone.
- 90% of mobile searches lead to an action; over 50% lead to a purchase.
- 70% of mobile searches lead to action within 1 hour.
- 74% of smartphone users use their phone to help with shopping and 79% of them ultimately end up buying.
- Mobile coupons receive 10x higher redemption rates than print coupons. If you are not allowing people to redeem offers by showing a screen or coupon code on their device, you should start.
Some of these stats may be a tad dated, but let’s face it; mobile isn't getting any less popular. People aren't giving up their phones and tablets. Very soon, we won’t refer to it as “mobile marketing”, but simply as “marketing”.
How are you ensuring your marketing efforts are mobile friendly?