Ever wonder why people feel compelled to like your Facebook page? Have no fear! A recent study by Syncapse shows the various reasons that people choose to Like a brand’s page on Facebook. If you have been in a social marketing role for a few years, you will notice a few changes in the top reasons. This indicates a very interesting trend in social media. Previously, the main reason people chose to Like a brand was for incentives such as coupons and discounts. However, this new study shows that a majority of people connect with a brand’s page because they really like that brand in everyday life. Let’s take a look at the reasons users Like a brand’s page based on the study:
- To support the brand I like – 49%
- To get a coupon or discount – 42%
- To participate in contests – 35%
- To share good experiences – 31%
- To share interests/lifestyle – 27%
- To conduct brand research while looking for products/services – 21%
- Seeing that friends also like the brand – 20%
- Branded advertisements led to the Like – 18%
- Peer recommendation – 15%
No matter how this list shapes up, there are a few things to keep in mind when considering user behavior when it comes to Liking Facebook pages. Users want to be appreciated, listened to and want to be able to make informed decisions through research and recommendations. I would venture to say that if you can provide all of these elements for your community on Facebook, you will see sustainable organic growth. The catch here is to think of ways to do this with your brand. I recommend constant research, benchmarking and testing of new ideas.
What do you think about this study, do the results surprise you?